Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Tuloy ang Pagbabago seeks 
to sustain 4Ps beyond now

TAGBILARAN CITY, April 5 (PIA)--A key official of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) in region 7 hints that far from being political, its newest campaign is to make sure the government's flagship poverty reduction strategy is sustained beyond administrations. 

The DSWD launched in Bohol Monday, April 4, its "Tuloy ang Pagbabago" campaign, a communication campaign that is intended to protect and enhance the awareness of Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) beneficiaries or their rights and duties, especially for the upcoming [national] elections, reads a press statement the government agency distributed during a press conference. 

The campaign seeks to encourage partners and beneficiaries to be actively involved in the entire electoral process , capacitating them to speak and stand for their rights, explains Herminia Cabahug, DSWD-7 Chief for general administration and support services division. 

And for the venue, the Family Development sessions (FDS) which has been the teaching venues for responsible parenthood, disaster preparedness, women and children's rights and livelihood trainings are discussed, is a fitting stage.

At the FDS, all beneficiaries take on the Active Citizenship Module, where the DSWD trainors teach beneficiaries their roles in nation building, rights of voters as well as their responsibilities, Cabahug reiterated. 

The DSWD admits that some politicians threaten beneficiaries of getting delisted from the conditional cash transfer (CCT) beneficiaries if they refuse to vote for a candidate.

That is not true, DSWD said. 

"The only people who can delist the beneficiaries are they, themselves, Cabahug intoned.

Cabahug's statement is just a recapitulation of what DSWD Secretary Corazon Soliman has been telling the Filipinos. 

"Beneficiaries remain in the program based on their compliance to the program conditionalities and not on the decision of local officials or their preference of candidates..." Soliman was quoted in major news papers. 

The CCT works on conditionalities which beneficiaries have to comply to keep the assistance from getting suspended, DSWD said. 

These conditions mean 85% attendance in school, regular prenatal and visit to the Rural Health Unit for medical check ups as well as attendance to Family Development Sessions. 

If, after a warning, the family beneficiary is still getting below the minimum compliance, then the beneficiary could be delisted, Cabahug said. 

Getting hurt for the 4Ps being used to threaten their beneficiaries, the DSWD put up the new campaign after the previously successful anti-epal campaign, Phoebe Jen Indino, 4Ps information Officer explained. 

In Bohol, where the 4Ps cover about 59,994 households, the government has flooded over P9 billion in cash grants for poor families since 2008.

And for the levels of well being after 2008, only 1,180 families are in survival levels, DSWD noted. 

In subsistence level are 49, 846 households while some 4,872 families have become self sufficient, the government social welfare agency stated. 

This and that with the project on phase 6, compliance rate have been 97.26 in education, 98.19 in health and 96.69 in FDS, DSWD pointed out. 

"When we take a look at the impact of the program, we can easily see that this is worth continuing, thus the campaign," Cabahug summed. (rac/PIA7/Bohol)

No comments: