Monday, February 28, 2011

Army warns communities 
From ‘front’ organizations

FOR the army, confronting Bohol White Area Committee (BWAC) with the mission of denying recovery efforts of communist terrorist cleared areas is just as challenging as strategically outmaneuvering an enemy post. 

According to sources, the strategic field of engagement has shifted from the mountains to the urban areas that the army has to make a paradigm shift in its campaigns to accomplish the mission. 

We have to change from fighting the enemy to winning the peace, declared army Special Forces chief 

Lt. Col Romeo Brawner, over the changes in fight strategy following the fleeing of armed rebels from Bohol to Negros Oriental. 

Now faced with an unarmed but equally powerful white area committee specializing in urban recruitment, the army has warned communities not be easily swayed by offers of some non-government organizations used as front of the committee. 

At the recent Provincial Peace and Order Council meeting, army’s 802nd Brigade commander Colonel John Bunafos issued the warning to make communities aware of the recent developments. 

“Most of the needs of communities now are already served by Capitol and its accredited organizations,” Bonafos declared. 

The men charged with the internal security operations in Bohol however noted that there are non-government organizations which put up fronts and later use innocent communities to advance their goal to organize the mass base in preparation for the revival of the armed group or re-entry of fleeing armed rebels from Negros. 

BWAC members, army intelligence reports shared, are instigating and feeding issues sowing intrigues among organizations to destabilize and keep these perfectly normal organizations into highly political groups that can be easily manipulated into mobilizations and street rallies. 

“You can always identify them by their organizations when they bring in groups for street ralies,” hinted Army special Forces commander Col. Romeo Brawner when asked who are the BWAC members. 

Just as the communist insurgents left Bohol, its legal fronts shifted the fields of engagement to urban communities and established the BWAC, explained former 802nd Brigade Commander Alan Luga. 

“Since then, the BWAC has gone to intensify its recovery works in order to re-establish its mass base in preparation for the revival of the armed struggle or entry of the armed group from Negros Oriental,” Col Bonafos said in his presentation. 

These mass bases will serve as communications or ratlines of the New People’s Army during their subsequent movements from one place to another, Col Bonafos revealed. 

According to army sources, the BWAC has a complete human rights, health, education, intelligence, finance, propaganda and internal security teams. 

The army also said that BWAC I and II are already set up with DWAC 3 to be formed as soon as district federation of farmers is established in the 3rd Congressional District of Bohol. (racPIABohol)

Barot demands explanation 
On zero solution efficiency 

TO SHOW his seriousness in bringing crimes down and raising crime solution efficiency (CSE) marks, Bohol police chief Constantino Barot demands an explanation from stations who reported zero efficiency. 

At the out-of-town Provincial Peace and Order Council (PPOC) meeting held in San Isidro town, PSSupt. Constantino Barot said that only 47.73% or 84 of 176 crimes reported during the month of January were solved. 

The figure reported was however much higher than the CSE reported during the same period last year. 

Barot also flashed a comparative graph that showed January 2010 CSE at 23.14% or that only 28 of the 121 cases al over Bohol for the period considered solved. 

At this, Barot also showed that the police stations in the towns of Alicia, Baclayon, Balilihan, Corella, Cortes, Dagohoy, Danao , Getafe, Jagna, Loay, Panglao and Sierra Bullones each had crimes that remain unsolved. 

With these stations bearing zero crims solution efficiency, may PPOC members wonder what each police station is doing that crimes were never solved. 

Due to this, PSSupt Barot wants to know further why these criminal reports were apparently not acted upon.  

Police stations in Alburquerque, Batuan, Bilar, Garcia Hernandez, Loboc, Maribojoc, Ubay and Valencia each recorded 100% CSEs as their cops managed to solve all crimes recorded in their respective areas. 

Barot also showed by power point that Bohol towns of Anda, Antequera, Buenavista, Candijay, Clarin, Lila, Mabini, President Garcia, San Isidro, Sikatuna and Sevilla recorded zero criminality during the period January 1-31 of this year. 

Police Stations in Valencia, Loboc and Bilar scored high with 8, 4 and 3 cases all reported as accordingly solved. 

In fact, according to his presentation delivered before the council, Carmen Police Station scored the least efficient in its crime solution registering only 28.57 % by solving only 2 of its seven reported cases. (racPIABohol) 

Crimes downtrend
creditable to PIPS?

A POLICE presentation of the weekly crime rate in Bohol showed a dramatic downtrend in crimes after anti-crime authorities implemented the Police Integrated Patrol System (PIPS).

At the Provincial Peace and Order Council meeting Tuesday February 21 in San Isidro town, Police SSupt Constantino Barot showed that from a high 6.0 crimes last December 16-22, it went down to 0.8 crimes on February 10-12.

The PIPS is an intelligence-based operations simultaneously implemented by police authorities among nearby cluster towns and its force multipliers to enforce local and national laws as well as deny travel for criminals and characters who have been earlier tagged in reports as into highly suspicious activities, Barot once shared to the Philippine Information Agency.

Test-implemented in November 5, the PIPS has been ongoing for the past weeks dis-allowing the usual freedom of criminal elements from using the highways as their convenient prowling grounds.

The PIPS tried on three major focus: street crimes, fire-arms related crime and crimes perpetrated by motorcycle riding criminal elements, said PSupt. Arcadio Jamora Jr. at Kapihan sa PIA last week.

To reiterate its claim, Bohol police released a record that showed a noticeable decrease in weekly street crime average from a high 6 last December 16-24 to 1 weekly average in February 10-12.

As to fire-arms related crimes, data showed that the December 10-22 week recorded a 10 crimes average week which slumped to 1 crime a week average in Feb 10-12.

For crimes perpetrated by motorcycle riding elements, police records showed that the high 4 crimes average on December 16-23 coasted to 1 per week in the succeeding weeks starting Feb 3-9 and 10-12.

The month of January also recorded a total of 176 crime all over Bohol, said Barot during his presentation.

These crimes are classified as theft (79 cases), robbery and physical injuries where each had 33 cases, carnapping (7), murder (4), homicide (3) and a single case of rape. 

Police however noted a 15.34% increase in crimes compared to the same period last year.

January 2010 recorded only 149 cases, 27 cases more this year. (racPIABohol)

AT CIVIL REGISTRATION MONTH 
NSO eyes increased registry 
With Family Code changes 

FOR the child’s universal right to a name and nationality, the government has stretched its arms to embrace innocent illegitimate children. 

By amending articles in the Family Code of the Philippines, National Statistics Office (NSO) in Bohol hopes people would use the opportunity. 

“These children are innocent and do not deserve to be treated like they are unwanted births,” shared a teacher who hailed the government for finally recognizing these children. 

“It is a universal right for a child to have a name and nationality”, she said in an interview. 

Lately, two laws have been crafted to open government’s embrace for the innocent victims. 

Earlier, people called for amending the Family Code of the Philippines rang as this discouraged the eventual civil registration of illegitimate children in the country. 

The Family Code allows illegitimate children to use the surname and parental authority of the mother. 

At the recent Kapihan sa PIA to celebrate the Civil Registration Month in February, NSO Jessamyn Anne Alcazaren revealed the amendment through RAs 9255 and 9858. 

Urging people to use the opportunity to assure their civil registry, Alcazaren also underscored these two laws as government’s genuine effort to address a potentially traumatic future of an illegitimate child. 

Now, illegitimate children may use their father’s surname if he recognizes the filiation through the record of birth appearing in the civil register, or when an admission in a public document or private handwritten instrument is made by the father, according to RA 9255. 

A major source of civil registry problem, filiation has discouraged many from properly registering, a major setback in the drive to put up 100% civil registration, a local civil registrar admits. 

The new law says that children conceived and born outside of wedlock of parents who, at the time of conception were not disqualified by any impediment to marry each other, or were so disqualified only because either or both of them were below eighteen (18) years of age, may be legitimated." 

Legitimation however takes place by a subsequent valid marriage between parents or by express consent of the foster father, Alcazaren explained. 

By applying Republic Act 9255, she said the child can use his father’s name and be registered. 

Proofs of this civil registration are basically the basis for individual, government and business transactions between the person and other legal entities that conducts transactions with him. 

These two contentious issues have often been pointed out as causing problems which redound to children getting very traumatic experiences in schools. 

To get the civil registration drive on the gear, NSO said mobile registrations are offered in time for the monthly celebration put since 1991. 

At the media forum on the air, Alcazaren said the NSO wants to peg a 100% civil registration accomplishment this year and adds, she hopes people would use this chance. (racPIABOhol)

LCRs note decreased 
marriage registries 

THERE has been a decrease in marriage registry, notes Local Civil Registrars (LCR) who gathered to coordinate activities for the Civil Registration Month. 

Bohol National Statistics Office head Jessamyn Anne Alcazaren shared this at the weekly Kapihan sa PIA Thursday. 

While refusing to comment on the data noted by almost all LCRS over Bohol, she added it did not stop the local registrars to wildly assume that it could be indicative of lowered moral standards. 

What is more worrisome is that the decrease could also increase the probabilities of children born as illegitimates. 

In Bohol, Alcazaren said she was somewhat surprised that even this time, there are still a lot of Boholanos who need to go to the local registrars and register. 

The Bohol NSO chief cited a case of a senior citizen in Talibon town who was just registered in time for the mobile registration they put up with the local government unit in barangay Burgos last week. 

A registration made immediately after birth is a responsibility of the parents who must fill in the registration forms to ascertain that the date entered are correct. 

Parents and informants are given a maximum of 30 days to get the registration data to the LCR before there would be levied penalties for late registration, she explained 

This year, government registry office adopts “Quality Civil Registration in Support of the National Development Goals” to underscore the need for accurate information given during registrations. 

Recent cases show problems of erroneous registration data which has sprouted subsequent problems for people needing NSO authenticated certificates. 

Due the problems, government has made it a policy for pupils to show their certificates of birth upon enrolment for teachers to ascertain that pupils use their registered names in schools to keep them from seeking name corrections later. 

Some schools even require authenticated copies of birth certificates to correctly identify enrollees. 

Persons needing these authenticated copies may get one in Cebu, at the nearest Batch request Query System (BREQs) outlets or go for the NSO helpline at (02) 737-1111. 

More information about registrations can be had at the NSO Tagbilaran, Manzano Building, San Jose St. Tagbilaran City. (racPIABohol) 

Bohol dads seek Labaria’s 
permanent appointment 

LOCAL officials solidly stood and rallied behind Commission on Elections (COMELEC) Eliseo RZ Labaria, who has yet to get a permanent appointment status as the Provincial Election Supervisor. 

Officials from District representatives, to provincial and town leaders urged the poll agency to finally convert Labaria’s appointment o permanent after they all felt that the current election supervisor has proven himself as a competent leader. 

Labaria, who has been temporarily appointed as chief in Bohol has been holding a temporary status for the past three years, has successfully managed the conduct of at least three elections, including the automated national polls. 

According to inside sources at the COMELEC, should the poll body decide to leave Labaria with another temporary term, the election supervisor would hold on to the capacity until a new official can be assigned permanent. 

Labaria’s temporary appointment lapses on March 24, Comelec Bohol insiders said. 

For his skillful management of the local polls, Governor Edgar Chatto, in a letter has himself personally and officially sought the Comelec to convert Labaria’s temporary appointment to permanent. 

On the other hand, the province’s legislative department also came in with a resolution supporting the Chatto move and cited Labaria’s leadership skills leading to the successful conduct of the honest, orderly and peaceful elections. 

In fact, in a letter sent to the Comelec, Vice Governor Concepcion Lim used similar arguments to bolster the goal of propelling Labaria to the top provincial election post. 

Along with the province’s executive and legislative departments, district representatives Rene Relampagos, Arthur Yap and Erico Aumentado lobbied for the same in their different capacities. 

Meanwhile, League of Municipalities of the Philippines through president Rosemarie Imboy and Liga nga mga Barangay through Board Member Crispina Vergara has the same request to the national poll agency. 

On the other hand, former second representative and now Trinidad town mayor Roberto Cajes also sent his support to the appointment conversion. (racPIABohol) 



An-Car reinstatement
Can stop hot car sales

OVER the seemingly unabated issues of car-napped vehicles being sold to innocent buyers, a former National Police Commission key personality said much of this could be solved with the reinstatement of the anti-carnapping (An-car) regulations.

Former Napolcom regional Director Atty. Bernardo Calibo, in a radio interview explained that the reinstatement of the an-car regulations can effectively stop hot cars from being illegally transported.

The An-car is a regulation set up by Republic Act 6539 or the anti-carnapping act of 1972 which mandates that clearance should be required prior to shipment of motor vehicles, motor vehicle engines, engine blocks, chassis or body.

The law states that any person who owns or operates inter-island shipping or any water transportation with launches, boats, vessels or ships are given seven days to submit a report to the authorities all motor vehicle, motor vehicle engines, engine blocks, chassis or bodies transported.

The completion of the clearance requirement is precondition for the motor vehicle, motor vehicle engine, engine block, chassis or body to be loaded on board the launch, boat vessel or ship.

According to a car assembly shop owner, it was then easy to know if the engine or chassis, or even the entire car was a car-napped vehicle because the reports filed by shippers identify these parts.

Atty. Calibo however said the An-Car requirement, which was another lucrative business when shippers pay off officials to get their clearances, was suspended by then President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.

The an-car was an easy way to trace where a hot-car went, who was its shipper, which engine block or chassis was transported where and puts up red flags as soon as these shipped units were registered at Land Transportation Offices.  

Over this, NAPOLCOM 7 used to push for the reinstatement of the Ancar, but President Simeon Benigno Aquino has still to act on the matter.

All the president needs is a little more convincing and a proper look into the illegal practices in the conduct of clearances by officials, a shipper also shared. 

Atty Calibo also revealed that most hot cars are rented by interested parties, kill the drivers and dump the bodies before driving the car as far as Bicol for transport to either Samar then to Mindanao or the Visayan islands where Roll-on-roll-off services are available.

Newspapers also report that these car-napping syndicates nurture an LTO insider who facilitates the registration by tampering the car’s records.

Last week, the Philippine Daily Inquirer exposed a Boholano LTO employee as part of a group that facilitated the registration of stolen, car-napped or suspiciously sourced out vehicles.

When proven guilty, the conniving officials or employees who directly commit the unlawful acts is guilty of gross negligence of duty.

In fact, the law says, those who connives with or permits the commission of any of the said unlawful act shall, in addition to the penalty, be dismissed from the service with prejudice to his reinstatement and with disqualification from voting or being voted for in any election and from appointment to any public office. (racPIABohol)

No comments: